Sign In
 [New User? Sign Up]

Lax Kw’alaams

History

Lax Kw'alaams derives from Laxlgu'alaams, which means “Island of the wild roses“. It was originally was an ancient camping spot of the Gispaxlo'ots tribe. In 1834, it became the site of a Hudson Bay Company trading post called Fort Simpson, then Port Simpson. The name Fort Simpson derived from Capt. Aemilius Simpson, superintendent of the HBC's Marine Department.

Currently, Lax Kw’alaams is the home of the "Nine Tribes" of the lower Skeena River (nine of the fourteen tribes of the Tsimshian nation). The tribes are currently represented by the Allied Tsimshian Tribes.

The Nine Tribes are:
Giluts’aaw, Ginandoiks, Ginaxangiik, Gispaxlo’ots, Gitando, Gitlaan, Gits’iis, Gitwilgyoots, and Gitzaxlaal.
In 1862, smallpox annihilated 80% of Tsimshian population over three years time. Further epidemics ravaged our communities for many years.

In 1862 Mr. William Duncan, a lay missionary of the Church of England, split the community by moving a group of 350 Tsimshians to what is present day Metlakatla, B.C. Subsequently, in 1887 a further group of 826 Tsimshians from Metlakatla, B.C. were moved by Duncan to establish the new Metlakatla Indian Community in Alaska. Since none of the hereditary Chiefs were part of either exodus, present-day residents of Metlakatla, B.C. and the Metlakatla Indian Community in Alaska trace their tribal roots to Lax Kw’alaams.

  • Company Industry:Government / Civil Service
  • Company Type:Non-Profit Organization
Powered By



Featured Jobs